HomeMy WebsiteAbout mePocket PatchworkFreebie Patterns

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Announcing My Next Pocket Patchwork Sew~Along!!

As promised, I'm ready to announce the next Pocket Patchwork Sew~Along!!  I was thinking about this even before the last one was over!!  Before I get into the details, I'd like to tell the many new folks reading my blog what this is all about.

First, this is a freebie pattern in the form of a Sew~Along.  Each Friday for 5 weeks (they vary in length depending on the project) you'll receive the instructions for one block.  It's a mystery what you'll be creating, and you get your "clues" every Friday. 


Lucy's Prairie Pocket pattern by Heartspun Quilts

The term "Pocket Patchwork" refers to the pocket (like the one pictured above) that 18th & 19th century women wore under their clothes as they didn't have inset pockets in their garments as we do now.  They kept all kinds of needful things in them, including bits of patchwork to sew when they had idle moments (although knowing how much work there was to do everyday, I don't know when their hands would have been idle!!)  I'd like to think if I wore a pocket, I'd have patchwork in mine.  Hence, all of my Sew~Alongs are Pocket Patchwork!!




I'm betting, like me, you have lots of orphan units and loads of scraps lying about.  Well, we're gonna make good use of these in the Sew~Along!  Don't worry if you don't have orphan Flying Geese or Half & Quarter Square Triangles 'cause I'll give you directions on what to make.  Here's some things you will want to know to help you prepare for the Sew~ Along I'm calling..........

 
Pocket Patchwork ~ Orphans & Scraps

* I won't be able to give you any yardage because...we're using nothing but scraps.  Even if you want to make your project "controlled scrappy", it's best to use a wide variety of fabrics. 

* I used a wide variety of colors for my project, and it will look great made from a specific color palette.  Two colors, three colors....whatever is your whim.  Honestly, I used all of the scraps I had in a bag leftover from a scrappy quilt I made, along with the orphan blocks.  I didn't spend too much time choosing the fabrics.  The point is....use your scraps!!

* The units are on the small side, (nothing terribly small!) so choosing small prints will be key.

* The Sew~Along will take place over 5 weeks.

* The start date is Friday, January 4, 2013.  (When the holidays are over, and you'd like to do something just for you!!)

*Click here to review my instructions on making Half Square Triangles and Flying Geese units. It's just ordinary, basic stuff, and I won't be giving these instructions during the Sew~Along.

I think that's about all you need to know in advance.  Please pass the word along on Facebook, your own blogs, and tell your friends!!  The more, the merrier!!  If you've never participated in a Sew~ Along before, please join me...it's lots of fun. 

The best way to receive the Sew~Along instructions are via email....that way you can print them.  To do this, enter your email address in the "Follow by Email" icon found in the right-hand column of my blog.  You may have to scroll down to find it.  All of my blog posts will be sent to you as an email from then on.  Easy, breezy.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
This is also my LAST CALL for photos of the
 
Forget Me Not
 
Sew-Along quilts.  Please email your photos to me
by Friday, November 30th. I'll be posting the photos next week!
 
Remember, your quilt does NOT have to be quilted and bound.
Please include your name and where you live, i.e., state or country.
 
I'm very jazzed to have another Sew-Along with all of you!
Great fun!!
 
Enjoy your day.....Pam
 


 

23 comments:

  1. Looking forward to this next stitch along. Glad you are starting it after the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to this stitch along , and so nice we can use those scraps:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to this sew along and so happy that we can use scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea to use scraps...and I do have a little plastic box filled with extra HSTs....so this will be a perfect project! Looking forward to this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have too many scraps because I throw them away (I know, not good), but I have lots of f/q's, layer cakes and charm packs. I'm looking forward to this and I will blog about it. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm looking forward to this, but I am glad that you have scheduled a break between projects. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a lot of fun...and I love starting a new project at the beginning of a new year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like fun! Can't wait, as I have LOTS of scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Très tentant, j'aimerais bien vous suivre !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looking forward to this next stitch along...great idea to use scraps!!
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ok, I'm in. This is the first sew along for me, I have many times been tempted, but just ignored my curiosity. Now as a I sit here nursing the pneumonia that I shared my Christmas with this year, I think it's time to try this out. I can't wait!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I posted about it the other day... I can't wait for Friday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love love love that I can use my scraps. Seems I am always make scrappy things hoping to use up some scraps when in reality all that happens is that I get smaller scraps. Can't wait to use up some more pieces. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cannot wait tip Friday!! I am coming along on your sew along.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nous sommes vendredi et je me lance dans ce Sew-Along avec toi! Merci beaucoup et à bientôt!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looking forward to it. Such a great learning experience!

    ReplyDelete
  17. çà me plait beaucoup j'aimerai bien vous rejoindre si vous voulez encore de moi !!!
    à bientot !!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just finished one scrappy quilt top, and eager to continue to dig into the scrap bag for another one.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi,,I found you from Humblequilts,, sounds exciting as I like to make miniature quilts..I also belong to the yahoo group "smallquilttalk" moderator Kathy Tracy..
    Just wondering if this is step one,, where are two, three,four and five,,how do I find them?
    Thanks in advance,
    Linda J
    LJeterpudd@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Please Sir/ Madam,

    We need your help to take care of the orphans, This is our contacts Email; sosorphanagehomes@gmail.com and Moble number:08146363303. you can also check on our web site, www.Sosorphanagehome.org

    Best regards
    Sos orphanage home.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Please Sir/Madam,

    We need your help to take care of the orphans, This is our contacts Email; sosorphanagehomes@gmail.com and Moble number:08146363303. you can also check on our web site, www.Sosorphanagehome.org

    Best regards
    Sos orphanage home.

    ReplyDelete