HomeMy WebsiteAbout mePocket PatchworkFreebie Patterns

Friday, January 4, 2013

Pocket Patchwork ~ Orphans & Scraps ~ Part One


Happy New Year and welcome to Part One of my Orphans & Scraps Sew~Along!!  I'm so happy that you've joined me.

As you know, it's my objective to use up left-over orphan units and a bunch of scraps in making this little project.  All of the blocks will finish to 4 inches.  Don't fret....none of the pieces are smaller than 1 1/2 inches.  Let's get ya started.....

*Cutting Instructions to make Flying Geese:

*Cut (8) 1 1/2" x 2 1/2" assorted light print rectangles.
*Cut (16) 1 1/2" squares (in matching pairs or not!) of assorted medium or dark prints.

Use (8) Flying Geese orphan units OR make (8) Flying Geese units that should
measure 1 1/2" x 2 1/2" unfinished.


 
Arrange the Flying Geese units as shown.  Sew them into pairs; press seams open.  Pairs should measure 2 1/2" square.
 
 
 
 Sew the pairs together into rows, then sew rows together; press seams open.  Your block should measure 4 1/2" unfinished. 
 
That was fun, and we're done for now!  Part Two coming up next Friday! 
 
 
Pam

 
P.S.  There's a lot of great information about starching your fabrics, making Half & Quarter Square Triangles larger and trimming them to perfection, making perfect Flying Geese, perfecting your 1/4 inch seams, pressing, and a whole lot more in my Heartspun Quilts Hints Book!!  Click here to read more about it.
 
 
 
 
 
 

 




 

17 comments:

  1. I enjoy following your blog, I am an official Lurker (is that a word?). Excited to get started on this Orphans and scraps. HAppy New Year!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Pam! This one looks easy and I think I have the perfect little charm pack to use. Hopefully I can keep up this time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finished my block for today and put it in a 4X4 frame so I can enjoy looking at it until next week! Now it's off to work.

      Delete
  3. Thanks so much Pam! I off to my machine to begin:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pam your flying geese are perfect. Good thing I have plenty of orphan scraps in my bin to practice. Will follow your instructions and hope to sew as great as you. Happy New Year and thanks for sharing....Judith, Texas

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the fun.Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh YAY!!! i've been hanging out to get started, this is going to be ssssooo MUCH fun..thanks Pam :)))
    cheers...Marian in (very HOT) Aust

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year Pam! I can't wait to get started on this little gem!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Pam. I needed one more project to do and this fits my kind of style. I am so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Block # 1 done and waiting for #2... Thanks

    HAPPY NEW YEAR

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pam, would you mind if I make larger blocks for learning? I would like to make a quilt with the different blocks I learn from you. There are many quilt alongs but I feel more comfortable learning the basics first. Accurate cutting and sewing is a priority for me this year. I hope you don't mind. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Block #1 went together well and I have high hopes for all of the rest.
    I look forward to all of your quilt alongs and have enjoyed every one of them. Thanks for doing this for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this block! I can't wait to see what's next.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have just finished my block. I am so happy that we are using up our orphan blocks. I love looking forward to seeing what the next block is going to be. This is so much fun!! Thanks for your time in doing this Pam, and Happy New Year! Karen S.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bonsoir !
    Je me joins à vous pour participer à cette belle aventure et suis ravie de réaliser cette pochette pleine d'histoire. J'espère que je réussirai à comprendre toutes les explications *-)
    A très bientôt et belle année à toutes !

    ReplyDelete
  15. I finally finished this one -- it's been one of those weeks. You can see my block here:
    http://rainbowpincushion.blogspot.com/2013/01/orphans-scraps-part-1-finished.html

    Thanks for doing the sew-along, Pam. :)

    ReplyDelete