HomeMy WebsiteAbout mePocket PatchworkFreebie Patterns

Saturday, July 26, 2014

Tastebud Detective


Several weeks ago, my hubby and I visited one of our favorite chain soup & salad bar restaurants.  You might like eating there too...they have really sweet veggies, especially tomatoes, and a soup bar suitable for a plantation (wink, wink).   Anyway.....

One of the featured salads that day was a wonderful salad with the yummiest creamy lemon dressing.  The greens were very simple...only five ingredients:  romaine lettuce, spring mix greens, Craisins, blue cheese and chopped walnuts.  Mixed together with that wonderful lemon salad dressing...well, it was a bite of heaven on a fork!

I became a little obsessed with trying to replicate that lemon salad dressing.  So, I set about playing detective with lemon dressing recipes.  This was one of my trials.  Four dressing recipes mixed with romaine.  My husband was a taste tester, too.  

At the last minute, I decided to make the fourth with a recipe variation of my own, and it ended up to be the winner....a dead-ringer (and a lucky guess!) for the lemon dressing at the restaurant.  In this case, while I love Craisins, I substituted fresh blueberries.  I think strawberries would be great as well.

If you'd like to give this salad a try, click here for the recipe.  It's easy to make and very refreshing.  Hope you enjoy it!  

8 comments:

  1. Thanks......sounds so delicious.
    L

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one of my favorite places to go, too. I like Mushroom Mondays when they feature Cream of Mushroom soup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is my kind of salad! THANK YOU for sharing your version of the dressing with us! It looks delicious, and I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know why, but the link wouldn't work for me. Your description sounds delicious!!
    I was at Village Dry Goods today and realized how much I want to get back to your Prairie Women's patterns. The samples hanging in the shop were calling to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet...the link would only open for me in internet Explorer. Thought I'd pass that along in case it will work for you, too.

      Delete
  5. Have you tried this recipe
    http://blog.souplantation.com/summer-lemon-with-spiced-pecans-tossed-salad/#.U9SaEvldWV4

    yummy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds yummy. Will give it a go

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds awesome! Now if you could just reproduce the lemon honey dressing from my favorite little cafe, I'd be in heaven!

    ReplyDelete