HomeMy WebsiteAbout mePocket PatchworkFreebie Patterns

Monday, June 27, 2016

Do You Have Pyramid Fever?

In my last blog post, I promised I would share two projects that I'm really jazzed about and have captured my attention.  I didn't have time to get all of the things together for both projects, so rather than wait, I'll just tell you about one for now, and get to the other one soon.
Quiltmania magazine ~ March/April 2013 issue
Have you heard about the Panama Pyramids craze?  If you haven't, you need to know about this sweet quilt.  

Quiltmania magazine ~ March/April 2013 issue
Linda Collins found this antique pyramid quilt and fell in love.  She published the pattern in the March/April 2013 issue of Quiltmania magazine (seen above.)  Since then, a true phenomenon has occurred with quilters around the globe taking part in what has turned into a Panama Pyramid frenzie!  Count me in as one of the frenzied.  
  Linda made it super easy for all of us to make a pyramid quilt of our own when she created a set of awesome templates.  No need to worry about how to match triangles as the notched points make everything....and I do mean everything line up to perfection.  Honestly, this block is as easy as a Nine Patch....promise!
I trace and cut my pieces while I'm watching TV.  These blocks are so fun to mix and match fabrics.  I'm only using my scrap stash for the pieced blocks.  I haven't yet decided on what fabric color to use for the alternate triangles that will set the quilt.  I have lots of time to decide.
It took me less than 10 minutes to machine piece my block.  Super easy.  With Linda's templates you can also hand piece the block as well.

I've long admired pieced triangle blocks and viewed them as very difficult to make.  Perhaps they would be more of a challenge without the template, but this could not be easier.  I did not anticipate how fun they are, which apparently is something I share with hundreds of quilters around the world.  

Yes....truly around the world.  I know this because I'm part of the Panama Pyramid Facebook group!  Linda Collins hosts this group of about 600 quilters (and growing!) and we recently posted where we live.  I think we have folks from five continents!  This group posts a plethora of pictures that give endless ideas and inspiration.  You can ask questions if you'd like, and look for advice about cutting and pressing...all kind of things.  It's total eye candy and such fun.

If you'd like to join the Panama Pyramid group, in Facebook, search for Panama Pyramid Sew-along 2016.  This is a closed group...just look for the place to join within the header on the page. Linda will get back with you as soon as she can.  It's that easy.

If you'd like to order a copy of the magazine and/or a set of Linda's Pyramid Templates, you can call the Homestead Hearth Quilt Shop at (573) 581-1966.

You can also buy the Pyramid Template set from The Quilt Merchant by calling (630) 480-3000.

Jump in ~ it's so fun!!!

10 comments:

  1. Thanks Pam for this amazing shout out!!! Also just so you know, l have had the templates made as a solid set for those who want to rotary cut and machine piece with ease!! I'm excited to see Panama pyramid fever spreading! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is truly the craze! :) Great fabrics! I have the templates, but have not started! I will soon, but I need to get another project out of the way. The Quilted Moose in Gretna, NE, 402-332-4178, also sells the templates and may have magazines. Happy Stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks very interesting. I just saw a pyramid block on another bog, but didnt realize that it was the new craze. Must go investigate more.......

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am joining no "crazes" or SALs this year, but it isn't always easy to resist. I've always wanted to make a Pyramid quilt. Maybe I should get the templates for when I actually do. Thanks for the info! : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does anyone know where the name came from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, its just the name l gave the quilt myself. Not the name of the block.

      Delete
  6. Looks like a fun new project..great to have those templates so the corners are notched and piecing is more straight forward :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Go,gorgeous blocks.I`m not going to join ,will follow your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I ordered the templates but they were sold out of the magazine. Pam, could you post a quick lesson on the steps to construct the block? Do I need to worry about bias placement?

    ReplyDelete