HomeMy WebsiteAbout mePocket PatchworkFreebie Patterns

Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Your Creative Soul

This week, the good folks at Marcus Fabrics asked us to share a favorite quote with you.  I don't often come across lots of quotes, so I don't have bunches saved in a folder to share with you.  But...I do have one that I think you'll enjoy.

The quote was given to me as great advice by my fabulous Art Director and mentor at Marcus, Faye Burgos.  Faye is the Obi Juan of fabric creation and designs drop dead gorgeous fabric collections herself, so she knows a whole lot about the creative process.  Early in my fabric designing career, I was sharing how much I ruminated, toiled and worried about how the fabrics I chose were going to come out, and would they look good together in the collection, etc., and I'm sure lots of other worries as well.  She simply said.....

"The creative soul always obsesses."  

She is so right.  Think about it.  As quilters, you consider and think about the quilt you're going to make.  What fabrics will you choose?  Should it be this background or that?  This border or another?  All the while you're piecing the quilt, you are analyzing how it's looking.  You know when it's looking great and you know when something isn't working.  Do you have it on your design wall to stare at for awhile?  Move the blocks around within the quilt center?  Audition sashing and border fabrics?  I'm guessing you do and I do, too.  

Your creative soul is overjoyed when all the components you chose come together and sing a harmonic symphony in your heart, and it resonates as something good and pure, and you know....you just know it's right.  The soul can now stop the obsessing and enjoy the work....love what you've created. 

When Faye said those words to me that day, it was validation for all that I had been feeling.  It took away my insecurity and replaced it with knowledge that this happens to all of us when we're in creation mode.  It applies to daily life as well when we decorate our home, or plant a flower garden.  You rarely have creativity without the obsession, or at least a lot of thought as to how it will look, and what to do to change it.  

And, it's a good thing, because out of all of that creating, ruminating and obsessing comes our very best work.

#MarcusMakers2016

5 comments:

  1. And she is so right! I always tell my friends that my favorite part of quilting is choosing the fabrics, so why do I "obsess" over my choices? Because it is fun! Thanks for sharing. And my favorite quote is from Pablo Picasso - "Art washes away from the soul, the dust of everyday life". Isn't that the truth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that is such a validating thought, Pam! Thank Faye for us, and thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I don't feel so guilty about all that obsessing! If only my husband would understand...

    ReplyDelete