HomeMy WebsiteAbout mePocket PatchworkFreebie Patterns

Wednesday, February 21, 2018

First Peek At Primitive Threads!

Primitive Threads quilt ~ Designed by Pam Buda for Heartspun Quilts
and Marcus Brothers fabrics.
Introducing my Primitive Threads quilt!  

Boy...this feels so good!!  I tell ya....working in secret is hard sometimes, so when it's finally time to share....I can hardly contain myself!

This quilt features the entire Primitive Threads fabric collection (for Marcus Fabrics) and uses a black print as the neutral background.  I designed two taupe fabrics that I used in the pieced border of the quilt and another I used in all of the blocks.  (I have plans for even more quilts using these taupe fabrics.  I'm so in a taupe mood these days!)

When choosing fabrics for a primitive collection, I knew I wanted darker, muted colors....prints that had a folk art feel to them, and absolutely had to have some stars!  What's primitive without stars??  I also wanted the prints to fit in nicely with other historic prints.  So....let's take a look at some of the Primitive Threads fabrics and the antique fabrics that inspired them.

Several years ago, I acquired parts of a potholder quilt.  Just holding it is so sweet and dear.
I have several long pieces with six blocks, a couple of twin blocks and some single blocks...all with the same red binding print.  I'm not sure how old they are.  I think the fabrics in the blocks may be older than the binding, but I'm not sure.  All I know is.... they're old!  
This brown print has been one of my favorites since I've owned these historic pieces, and I thought it fit into the folk art theme I was going for.  I just love the whimsical feel of the flowers.
It was the perfect choice for the main black background print of the quilt I designed because that print needs to read as a 'solid', and could not have any direction to the pattern.  Yet...I didn't want a true solid....I wanted something more fun and interesting.  It was perfect!  It turned out so great, we printed it in four colors.  For the black version, the actual floral print is in a soft brown so it will be seen just a bit, but doesn't change the overall color of the black fabric.  The red is actually a darker cranberry color, blue is a navy and the light is a soft warm beige.  The red, blue and beige are all tone on tone and are much prettier than this photo makes them to be.  (You know me and my camera....sigh....so hard to capture what the colors really are!!)  This print is called Folk Art Flower.  
I used another print in the potholder quilt that I am just wild over!!  It's so faded, but you hope you can see how sweet the little star flowers are.  It just screamed folky and primitive to me!
Here's how that sweet print turned out!  I LOVE IT!!!  Honestly....please see these fabrics at your local quilt shop.  My photos just don't do them justice.  This print is called Folk Art Garden.
I thought I'd add this photo of the back of the potholder pieces for those of you who like to study old quilts.  The blocks do not have any batting in them, and the quilting is just along the edges of the crazy piecing.  I think it's just precious.  

Any guesses how old the potholder quilt pieces are??

I'll show you more Primitive Threads fabrics and their antique fabric inspirations in my next post.  Hope you like what you see so far.

Primitive Threads fabrics should be arriving to your local quilt shop in April....so please....be sure to ask for them there.  It's so very important that we support our quilt shops!!  

Better get to work on the new things I'm dreaming up for your stitching pleasure.  Be well....

16 comments:

  1. Absolutely gorgeous!! And those Folk Art Garden prints are sensational! I would love to see your potholder quilt piece close up - someday! I found a similar one in Woolwich, Maine several years ago that was made in the 1880's I gave it to Pam Weeks for her antique potholder study classes. Can't wait to get to Cyndi's next week for more fabric therapy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I love the quilt and the fabrics and will be looking to grab a big chunk of that tone-on-tone neutral for an applique background!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The tone on tones are fabulous, great for background and I ❤️ That it’s non directional. So good

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to guess 1880's. No reason, it just popped into my head as I was reading this in my email. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love this range so much and your quilt with it is beautiful. Congratulations on another gorgeous range!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would estimate the fabrics in the quilt to be circa 1840 to 1870's

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your quilt design is beautiful. I am always drawn to a quilt with black and colors that pop from it.
    The prints are wonderful! Can't wait to see them in person.
    Did a quick run to Village Dry Goods yesterday for shirting fabrics, and almost every one that first caught my eye in their vast collection was from one of your lines. It was uncanny! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now you have outdone yourself!! And I didn't think that could happen. I love both the tone on tones and Folk Art Gardens. I can't wait to see them in person. And the quilt you designed is fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely beautiful can´t wait to play with them and I guess about 1890.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE this new Primitive Threads line, especially the three flower branches fabric on red and black and taupe backgrounds. The Primitive Threads quilt is stunning, maybe because of the black background......it is breathtakingly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just love primitive and vintage colors and designs. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't wait to get some of this line. It is awesome! And the quilt is breath taking. I want to make one just like it! I always love everything you design, but I think this is your best yet. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stunning quilt -- I'm speechless.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! That Primitive Threads quilt is gorgeous! Like little flickering lights....or stars in a night sky....or a field of flowers...beautiful! :-) I'm enjoying reading about the inspiration behind the fabrics too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like your new decorative designs! it's so beautiful so much and good idea on site.

    หนังสยองขวัญ

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for all your efforts that you have put in this, It's very interesting Blog...
    I believe there are many who feel the same satisfaction as I read this article!
    I hope you will continue to have such articles to share with everyone!
    หนังชีวประวัติ

    ReplyDelete