HomeMy WebsiteAbout mePocket PatchworkFreebie Patterns

Friday, December 13, 2019

Quilt Archaeology ~ Old Fashioned Christmas ~ Week 4

Here we are....week 4 of my Old Fashioned Christmas sew-along.  Our final week!
From your light print:  Cut (3) 2 7/8" light print squares - crosscut once diagonally.  Also cut (5) 2" squares for Half Square Triangles.

From red print #3:  Cut (3) 2 7/8" squares - crosscut twice diagonally.  Also cut (5) 2" squares for Half Square Triangles.

Follow the piecing directions from week one.  You can find them here.  Make a total of (3) red print #3 pieced Flying Geese units measuring 2 1/2" x 4 1/2" unfinished.  

Here is the sweet antique quilt that has been our inspiration.  Since I wanted to replicate the quilt exactly, I laid out my blocks the same way.  

Looking at the antique quilt from left to right, row one has (5) red print #1 blocks and (1) green block.  

Row two has (1) green block, (2) red print #1 blocks and (3) red print #2 blocks.  

Row three has (3) red print #3 blocks, (2) red print #1 blocks and (1) green block.  
Sew each row of (6) blocks.  Each row should measure 4 1/2" x 12 1/2".  Sew the rows together.  Your sweet Old Fashioned Christmas quilt should measure 12 1/2" x 12 1/2".
It's hard to see if and how the antique quilt may have been quilted from the photo I have, but no doubt it was rudimentary at best.  I chose to hand quilt mine because I love hand quilting and it's just the right size for me to do so.  I'm a novice hand-quilter, but practice makes perfect, right?  As you can see from the photo above, I only quilted the large light print triangles.  That is all this little quilt really needs, and with little quilts, the more quilting, the stiffer they get.  I like them to be soft and flexible so they drape.  

You can certainly machine quilt yours the same way to get it finished so you can display it in your home!  I just wanted to offer a suggestion for quick finishing.
Here's a photo of how I am displaying it in my home.  I love it!!!  I hope you love yours as well. 

I'm already planning another Quilt Archaeology for the spring.  Now....I just need time to plan, piece, and take measurements and such to share with you.  

Dear Santa.....what I'd like for Christmas is world peace, and more sewing time, please!

Thank you so very much for sewing along with me!!!  I sincerely hope you have enjoyed it and that it wasn't too much to do during this busy holiday season.   I appreciate you reading my blog, and supporting my little business so I can keep creating fun and inspiring quilts for all to enjoy.  

The countdown to the Big Day continues!  Be well.......


7 comments:

  1. Pam ~ I am excited to get this sweet little Christmas quilt done. Thank you for always making it so clear as how to put your quilts together. YES!!! Santa, more sewing time please, especially with friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this beautiful quilt! I'm still cutting out the blocks to do later. Love your display! I hope that you and your family have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very beautiful Pam. Thank you for sharing and for your inspiration. I'm busy putting gifts together now but plan to make this after Christmas for myself. Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautifully sweet finish, Pam. Maybe someday I will get to make one, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty Pam. I am so behind, got to get mine finished soon. Looking forward to another Quilt Archaelogy in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy to be finishing this soon, I am hoping I can find time to get it done by the end of the year. Thank you so much for the fun Pam, Merry Christmas to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love, love, love your little quilt with the Christmas display!!! I couldn't sew along due to all the other projects I'm trying to finish, but I have saved your posts to make one when I have a chance. You have the best decorating expertise!

    ReplyDelete