HomeMy WebsiteAbout mePocket PatchworkFreebie Patterns

Friday, June 12, 2020

Antebellum Sew Along ~ Part Three

So happy you're back with me for week three of the sew along.  Let's get started....
With the red print HSTs you made last week, and trimmed to 1 1/2", sew (5) of them together, pressing seams in between open for the side borders.  The side borders should measure 1 1/2" x 5 1/2" unfinished.  Check your measurements before proceeding and fix any issues that may arise.  Sew them to the center LeMoyne Star block; press.  (Press the HST border in the direction that is better for the points of your HST, and that may mean press the seam open.)

Next, sew (7) HST together for the top and bottom borders.

Pay specific attention to the orientation of the HST in the top and bottom rows, and how the bottom row is different.  Not exactly sure why the bottom row has HST turned this way, but I replicated the original exactly.  I think it's authentic this way, and kinda kitschy.  I like it, but if you don't, turn your HST  as you desire.  Press seams open between the HST.  The top and bottom borders should measure 1 1/2" x 7 1/2" unfinished.  Sew them to the quilt top; press.  Your quilt should now measure 7 1/2" square.

 Let's add the plain borders.  From your red print #2, cut (1) 1 1/2" X WOF strip ~ subcut (4) 1 1/2" x 7 1/2 strips for borders.

Since you have your red print #2 out on the cutting table, cut (2) 2" x WOF strips for single fold binding.  Set aside.

From the blue print, cut (4) 1 1/2" squares for border cornerposts.

Sew (2) 1 1/2" x 7 1/2" red print #2 strips to the sides of your quilt top; press to the red print border.  

Sew (2) blue print 1 1/2" squares to each end of the red print top and bottom borders; press to the red print borders.  Then, sew the top and bottom borders to the quilt; press to the red print borders.  Your quilt should now measure 9 1/2" square, unfinished.  

That's all for this week!!  Your quilt is looking so cute!  Don't forget to post your progress using #AntebellumSewAlong    
I sincerely hope you're enjoying the sew along, and that it's happening at a nice and easy pace for you.  I am planning at least one more later in the early fall!  Always trying to plan fun sewing projects for us to make together.

I had hoped to post photos of Plumberry this week, but the fabric didn't arrive until yesterday.  So, I will most definitely have an update for you this coming week.

Presently, I am deep into writing the directions for my new 2021 BOM.  I'm busy starching the fabric, too, and can't wait to begin cutting it up.  It will be introduced in July, so watch for exciting news on this program.  I can tell you it's very traditional, multi-colored in my core colors, and has just glorious fabric prints.  The border print makes my heart sing every time I look at it.  So...enough tempting you about it...but I am bursting to share it with you.  It's so hard keeping secrets!!

I hope you are staying healthy and can get out and about in the world a bit better.  I'm headed to my patio to work on the BOM outside because it's a beautiful day today.  Then, some evening stitching there as well.  I love summer!

Stay safe and healthy, and keep stitching!

5 comments:

  1. I am behind but hope to catch up soon. Too many irons in the fire that are taking me away from my sewing room!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am behind but hope to catch up soon. Too many irons in the fire that are taking me away from my sewing room!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is looking really cute, and the color palette is perfect for summer.
    Looking forward to a glimpse of the new Plumberry line!!
    And though I rarely do BOM quilts (I can't keep up, and I get discouraged), I am anxious to see what you have in the works!
    My design wall is now empty and the next project that will be going up is Settler's Puzzle, from the VDG retreat in 2014? Remember that? I just have to make the borders--including the HSTs. That shouldn't take me all summer, but at the rate I am going, it might.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pam, I'm loving this sew along. Your directions are always spot on and help make this journey so enjoyable. I'm always so excited to see what your coming up with next. Your amazing!! Thank's for everything you do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! I hope to make this soon.

    ReplyDelete