HomeMy WebsiteAbout mePocket PatchworkFreebie Patterns

Monday, September 14, 2020

Learn From My Mistake


This quilt was made a few years ago.  It has a big problem.  Perhaps you can't tell from the photo, but it's very apparent in person.  
You see, I chose a very sweet background print with colorful flowers for this scrappy quilt.  (The quilt is featured in my Tokens of the Past: Nine Patch Reverie pattern and is one of many quilts in the pattern.)  The little print is in a grid format.
When the top was complete,  I knew there was something wrong....it was as if the background was psychedelic!  It kinda whirled, and swirled, and made you dizzy.  
It was then I realized that this is a quilt with a lot of angles, what with the blocks on point, and all of their seams, and the setting side and corner triangles.  All of these parts disrupted the grid pattern and had it going in every which direction.  Not good - not good at all!  I couldn't use it for my pattern cover so I made a new one with a calmer, non-directional fabric.

So this sweet little quilt sat folded for about a year when I decided to have it quilted.  

It looks just fine folded up, and no one will see what's happening in the crazy edges of the quilt.  And....I think it's a perfect project to use some of those scrappy binding pieces I've been saving.

So....please learn from my mistake.  Think about your background fabric and how it will be used in your chosen quilt.  I use grid printed fabrics all the time, but never again as a single background in an on-point setting quilt.  We learn something new everyday!  

I finally finished my new Quilt Archaeology quilt over the weekend.  I'll be taking photos, and putting the finishing touches on the pattern tomorrow, and getting everything ready for you.  

You will find everything you need to know about my new Quilt Archaeology right here on my blog.  

The BIG REVEAL is coming 
Friday, October 18th!!!!  

I can't wait!!  

As always, my dear quilting friends, do stay safe, be well, and keep stitchin', because it's what's good for your soul.  

9 comments:

  1. I understand what you are saying about the quilt, but it isn't obvious to me like it must be in person. I think it looks beautiful! :)
    Looking forward to what you have in store for us in the next Quilt Archeology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet quilt. Maybe it's just me but I think it's the quilting that's causing they eyes to move in a swirl, not the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I would have never noticed if you hadn't pointed it out. Thank's for the tip Pam!! It still is a beauty!!So looking forward to seeing your new Archaeology quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your quilt is beautiful, Pam! Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I think it is sweet anyway. It makes it look more antique to have a bit of quirkiness. Can't wait for the big reveal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually, I like that effect. It grabs the eye and draws it around the quilt, giving it motion. I see this in many antique quilts. However I realize it’s not what you wanted for this particular quilt. I’ve also been fooled by prints I didn’t realize were directional until seeing them from a distance. I agree, it’s best to figure this out before ew start cutting and sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really don't notice it that much--and I didn't at all till you mentioned it. I totally get it, though. As the person who made it, it will prob be the first thing you always see--but not so the rest of us, if that helps! I always watch for linear patterns in fabrics and try to avoid them like the plague because of this. I sometimes wonder why they make so many that way?? I can't see any advantage but I can sure see disadvantages!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Pam, for sharing your amazing quilting knowledge with all of us! ♥️♥️♥️

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am drawn to more scattered prints now, even in colors for block piecing. Great info, educational for why things sometimes don’t “look right”

    ReplyDelete