HomeMy WebsiteAbout mePocket PatchworkFreebie Patterns

Monday, July 26, 2021

Another Video

 

As you well know, videos are 'the thing to do' in quilting (and every other aspect of life it seems.)  I know they can be fun and informative, but for me, they are very stressful.  I kinda want to do them because I really love reaching.  But, I'm not at all good at it, as you will see in the latest video I just published on my YouTube Channel.  All I can say is have mercy on me, and be kind, please.  

I've wanted to do a video on how to use my Fussy Cut Template set, and my husband (bless his heart) tries to help me.  We end up laughing at all the bloopers more than we get done in an afternoon.  I'm a person who shies away from the camera, so a video is horrifying to me.  I just tell myself I have to try new things to grow as a person....so I charge on.  Hope you take a look at it, have a few chuckles, and see how wonderful these templates really are.  Click here to see my video.

I am a baker and I come from a long line of bakers.  I adore a good pie, and way back in 2014, I talked about wanting to learn to make a good pie crust on this blog.  My friend, Janet, arranged a surprise for me to learn about making pies when I was on a teaching trip to Utah.  You can read about that trip here.  

Anyway, I have struggled with pie crust ever since (which is absolutely no reflection on Janet's instructions!)  Last year, I went searching on YouTube to see if I could find a video that would help me (see, here we are back at videos!)  I often find that in watching videos, I pick up on subtleties that aren't in written instructions.  Maybe it's the kitchen tools used, or the way a person handles the dough that makes all the difference....things like that. 

I think I found my pie nirvana.


If you're wondering why I am writing about pie making today it's because I baked this delicious cherry pie over the weekend, posted about it on social media, and was met with many requests for the recipe.  I am always happy to share a good recipe....and quilting hint...why not?

After all, this is not my pie crust recipe, and....there's a video tutorial to go with it!  

What I love about this pie crust recipe is it is seemingly fool proof.  You never vary on measurements, or technique, and it will come out flaky and perfect every time.  As a novice pie maker, this crust is a dream to work with.  It's not dry, and doesn't crack.  I love how it feels in my hands when working with it, and who doesn't love making food that is a pleasure to make, and delicious to eat?

So, enough of my rambling...here's the recipe:

Old-Fashioned Flaky Pie Crust

1 2/3 cup all purpose flour

1 TBL sugar

1/2 tsp salt

2 sticks of cold butter (do not freeze)

1/2 cup cold water

The recipe alone is not enough.  You have to watch the Baking with Stella video to see the technique she uses, which is very simple, but ultra important.  Click here to see the video.  If for some reason you need to search for her on YouTube, search the following:

How to Make the Best Old-Fashioned Flaky Pie Dough

My cherries came from Door County, WI.  If you live in the Midwest like I do, you know all about Door County cherries....absolutely divine!  I buy the already made pie crust filling.  I think you may be able to find it on-line....it's worth it!  

So....now you have a few videos to watch....one to make you giggle (mine) and the other to have you making glorious pies.  

Hope you find these videos useful and informative.  

See ya Friday for more on the Teeny Tiny Star quilt.



8 comments:

  1. You were fabulous on the video! Thanks for the demo. I love your blog and tips also.

    I have also been thinking about making pies. Your pie looks absolutely delicious and perfect. Thanks for the pie making tips. Did you just use one jar of pie filling for a 9" pie? How do you keep the filling from not running into the pie pan after the first piece is taken out?

    Quilting and pie, what could be more perfect?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your video was wonderful! It should sell lots of fussy cut templates because it really is a time saver. I have used the same 12" ruler for everything for years but when I got your fussy cut template for the c1880 quilt, I couldn't believe how much easier it was to get my piece centered. They are wonderful! I did get my stars cut out over the weekend so hope to whip up my little mini this week. Thanks for the pie link too. It is exactly how my Nana made her crust. I only make pies over the holidays - I love it too much and it always ends up on my hips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my Pam, that is a heart attack pie for sure! You really don’t need a cup of butter to make a good pie! 2 cups of good flour (King Arthur) 1/3 cup lard (crisco) tsp salt and you are good to go. The thing to remember about pie crusts are ICE COLD WATER, and get in and GET OUT. Don’t play with the dough, don’t stir it death, etc. put the flour and salt in a sizable bowl, add the lard, cut it thru with two knives or a pastry blender til it is crumbles….then add the ice cold water until it adheres together, I don’t measure my water, just a good slurp, quickly stir and put it on a floured cloth to roll it out. Put ice in a measuring cup and add water to it before you begin, then the water will be good and cold. Works every time!.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK ~ Now I NEED to make a pie!! Thanks' for all the links and recipe. Your pie looks gorgeous!! And your video's are getting better each time, congrats on facing your fear of doing them, you are a great inspiration in all that you do!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had never been truly satisfied with my pies until I tried the blueberry pie recipe, including the crust recipe, from “America’s Test Kitchen”. I highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you were successful with your pie making. It's a craft that needs to be learned by watching someone make one, not by looking in a book or having someone explain it over the phone. My grandmother taught me how to make pie crust when I was in high school. It's a sweet memory and it was a gift that I've been able to share. I've been to Door County Wisconsin, quite a place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to try making this dough and making a pie.
    Thank you for this recipe. I know it will be good!

    Fussy cut templates are so handy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good Morning, Your video was fabulous! Thank you.

    Making "good" pies is on my to do list, thank you for the tips and advice. I did watch the pie crust video. Is one jar of pie filling enough for a nine inch pie plate? How do you get it to not run, once a piece is taken out?

    ReplyDelete