HomeMy WebsiteAbout mePocket PatchworkFreebie Patterns

Monday, July 30, 2012

Scissors ~ Plain & Fancy

One of my favorite past times is to hunt for antique sewing items.  All kinds of sewing items. Other than my passion for all things quilting, I adore antique samplers.  I'm very fortunate to have found ten antique samplers, the oldest, a band sampler, dated 1787.  I feel they are in my care now....to treasure and behold for my lifetime....and I do.  Every now and then, when time allows, I go treasure hunting.  Recently, I acquired two new antique sewing items I thought I'd share with you.



The tiny red needle case was the first one I found, and I found it on eBay.  It measures all of 1.5 inches long and .50 inches wide.  It was a "Happy Birthday to me" gift.  I just had to have it.  And....it's RED! 


A peak inside reveals this tiny little picture of two birds.  Isn't it sweet!  I have no idea how old it is.  It's a treasure to be sure.  I was so happy when I won it on eBay, and I anxiously awaited its arrival.  When it came, I was beyond excited to open it.  Oh, it was cuter than I thought.  I carefully opened the lid......and was surprised to find a tiny crumpled piece of paper.  Hhmmmm.  What's this?  I opened the tiny crumpled paper to find........a tooth.  Yes.....a tooth!!  Who puts a tooth in a needle case???  Furthermore....if someone kept a tooth in there, why pass it along to me?  Hello.....it says needles on the lid.  Happily, I wasn't charged extra for the contents.  And, no.....I didn't keep it.  I like antiques, but I don't collect everything!  Do you collection antique sewing items?  Ever get any teeth with yours?

 On the way home from Iowa after visiting with Lynne, I stopped at one of my all time favorite hunting grounds....the Amana Colonies. I have the best luck there!!  The blue basket pin cushion was perched on a glass shelf calling my name. 


It's a souvenir of the World Expoisition held in Chicago, 1893.  I was born and raised in Chicago, and now live in a suburb of Chicago, so it held even more sentiment for me.  I hope you enjoyed my new little finds.  These tiny remnants are rare treasures that give a glimpse of our past in a tangible token to treasure now.


I collect scissors....both plain & fancy.  I found these lovely heirloom scissors and just had to have them.  If you'd like a pair for yourself, please visit my website to order.  They are 4 inches, have very sharp points, and are perfect for applique, embroidery, and cross stitch.  It's so nice to use pretty scissors,  and I enjoy just having them around.  Surround yourself with lovely things!!  You never know, they may be tomorrow's heirloom. 

And...you have my word that I won't incude a tooth with your order!!!

Pam

6 comments:

  1. What absolutely wonderful treasures!! Love that needle case! I don't collect antique sewing items, but love seeing them. Thanks for sharing!!

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do have a few antique sewing treasures as well. Love your new ones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to treasure hunt. I once bought a 100 years old coin purse in a plastic bag at a yard sale. When we got home I opened it and found someones front bridge in gold. I paid $.25 for the purse and made $35 selling the gold. But I almost through them away because I was grossed out but my mother stopped me. My friends father owns a coin shop and bought them to melt the gold.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolute treasures. Do you remember when the Clotilde catalog used to include photos of and snippets about antique sewing implements? I loved that best about the catalog. Now, it has been modernized and I do not care for it at all. These are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just adore that needle case....what a cute find!! I do find myself looking for little sewing notions when at an antique shop, but do not manage to find much of anything when I go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The needle case is a treasure! Do you suppose the drawing inside might have been done by the owner of the case? This was common in those days. They would pretty up something they used often.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete