HomeMy WebsiteAbout mePocket PatchworkFreebie Patterns

Friday, September 14, 2012

Forget Me Not Sewalong ~ Parts Eleven & Twelve

Can you believe it?  We've made ten blocks together already, and we're about to make the last two!  My, the time has gone by quickly.  I purposefully held these two blocks for last because they are scrappy....meaning that you can use some of the scraps you have to complete them.  Always fun, I think!

Important Note:  For these last two blocks, you will be making your Half Square Triangles just a bit differently.  Normally, I ask you to draw a diagonal line and sew 1/4 inch on both sides of the drawn line.  This yields two identical HST.  For these blocks, we won't need two identical HST....we will only need one HST.  Therefore, to save on fabric, please carefully follow the directions for each block. 

Truth be told, this is a nice technique to know should you ever find yourself in the same spot needing only one HST.  The math formula is: finished size + 1/2 inch.  Just remember to sew "on the line",  not on both sides of the line. 

So....let's get busy sewing.......

Here's your cutting and sewing instructions for Part 11:

Light Prints:

*Cut (9)  2" squares from assorted light prints for HST.

Blue, Pink & Green Prints:

*Cut (3) 2" squares from each assorted blue, pink & green prints for HST.


Directions:


*Draw a diagonal line on the wrong side of all (9) light print squares.

*Pair each with a blue, pink, or green square.

*Sew (scant) on the drawn line.  Notice in the photo that my seam is a thread or so next to the line.  This is the same as sewing a "scant" 1/4 inch seam. 
 
*Trim 1/4" seam allowance.

*Press seams open.  Make (9) HST that should measure 2" unfinished.



*Arrange the HST units for the block as shown.  Pay specific attention to color placement of the blue, pink, and green prints.



*Sew units into rows; press seams open.  Sew rows together; press seams open.  Make (1) block that should measure 5" unfinished.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Here's your cutting and sewing instructions for Part 12:

From assorted scraps for HST
*Cut (2) blue, (1) green, and (1) pink print 2 3/4" squares.

From light print:
*Cut (1) 2 3/4" x 5" rectangle for FG unit.

From blue & pink print
*Cut (2) 2 3/4" squares for FG unit.

Directions:
*Draw a diagonal line on the wrong side of the (2) blue print 2 3/4" squares.  Pair each with a pink
and green print.  Sew on the drawn line. Press to the blue print, trim 1/4 seam allowance. Make (2) HST that should measure 2 3/4" unfinished.

*Draw a diagonal line on the wrong side of the (2) blue & pink print 2 3/4" Connector Corner squares.
Make (1) Flying Geese unit that should measure 2 3/4" x 5" unfinished.




*Arrange the units for the block as shown.  Sew together into rows; press.  Sew rows together and press.  Make (1) block that should measure 5" unfinished.



*For an added touch, use a permanent marker, such as a Pigma Micron pen, and write:

Forget Me Not
Your name or initials
The year
 
If you're lucky enough to be artistic, (as clearly I am not!), you can draw other lovely design motifs as well.
 
 
Now that we're finished with all twelve blocks, I'd love to hear your
comments about them.  Which are your favorites?  Was there one or two
you didn't enjoy making?   
 
Leave me a comment by midnight Saturday, September 15th.
 
The winner will receive the Heartspun Quilts pattern of your choice!
(Sorry, Prairie Women's Sewing Circle patterns not included)

 
Happy sewing everyone!
Pam
 

 
 



 

30 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this pattern series. I've very much enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm fairly new to making small blocks but its amazing to see the improvement with each one. I did buy the kit so going through all the fabrics was a treat. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So far I have enjoyed making all the blocks, but my favorite is the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have enjoyed making all the blocks, but my favorite is block 8. Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have enjoyed all the blocks, but if I had to chose - Block 7 would be my favorite. Thank you for sharing another great project with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been living for Fridays to see what blocks you had for us to make.
    My favorite has been Block #7, I guess because I had never used that technique before and it came out great! Thanks so much for your clear instructions. I sure hope you are working on another series for us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love sampler quilts and this one has been so fun. I enjoyed making all the blocks and the variety kept my enthusiasm up. Thank you so much for the block patterns.
    Grandma Rita

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun project! I hadn't made this size block before and I am hooked now. Difficult to find just one favorite, but I think Block #2 is my choice. Thanks again for the pattern and easy to follow instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have enjoyed all of the blocks. I have really gotten into the smaller blocks and quilts. Thanks so much for the pattern and the sew a long.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for the new quilt sew a long. I really enjoy making little quilts. I think they were all good blocks. Hopefully, some day I will have enough little quilts to make a quilt wall!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Greetings from Northern Saskatchewan CANADA! I have loved following along your little block weekly tutorial! I didn't get in early enough to buy a kit so am using my basket of Kansas Troubles scraps. It is lovely too! Although your beautiful pinks are red in mine. Now that we have all these wonderful little blocks, are you showing us what to do with them? I will miss the Friday get-together! I couldn't chose a favorite block - they are all my favorite! lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been hand-piecing these cute little blocks in pink, brown, tan and blue. I have enjoyed it so much I think I will continue with something - maybe you'll have another sew-along - hint, hint!
    But I really do need a prairie pocket, that would be so much fun.
    By the way I love what I've seen of your fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like block 7 the best, but block 8 was my more challenging one. I made it through with just one un-sew and re-sew. Loved it. This has been a great sew along.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't believe this little project is coming to an end already. I have really enjoyed it and just about all of my blocks have turned out really true to size. I really don't want to say I had problems with any block, I am not really good friends with flying geese but they all came out pretty darned good. I lve doing these little sew alongs especially this one as my sister is doing it as well. Two Thimbles is also doing a fun civil war challenge, Lee is quite good at coming up with new projects to keep us all busy. Thank you for this opportunity and the block patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pam, these have been some very fun blocks to sew up!!! My all time favs are 7 & 8! Just love the patterns and the challenging new blocks! Thanks for the fun SAL!!

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for doing this sew-along! It's been fun. I've learned a lot, including to watch out for scale when working with prints, especially with such small pieces.

    My favorite and least favorite are the same block: Part 8. It's my favorite because it's different -- I'm getting bored with blocks that are only comprised of squares, rectangles, HSTs, and flying geese. Whatever happened to diamonds, hexagons, etc.? It's my least favorite because being a hand piecer I had to figure out the dimensions of that odd piece and get it oriented correctly (that took me 2 tries). Also, pin matching and handsewing those seams that included 9/16" edges was a bit tedious.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've so enjoyed the sew along and have made sure to keep up with them. Not too hard as they have been fun to make. I love them all but my block 10 turned out really cute. Thanks so much for doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I thought it was lots of fun and pretty easy to keep up with! I really liked that you offered the kit...thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. My favorite block is block 11, I love Triangles!
    Thank you Pam for this lovely mystery quilt!
    Muriel (de France)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks again for sharing this beautiful project! My favorites are block 6 and 8,love block 5,too - it's hard to choose only one favorite :) Your instructions are so good and easy to follow!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Which block is my favorite. I love them all. Every time a block was completed I would step back and with a grin say to myself, this one is so sweet. Thank you so much Pam for sharing this with us. Your instructions and pictures made the process flow. I especially liked the fact that you gave us finished sizes, although the blocks only needed to be tweeked a bit. You end up with a perfect 5 inch square.

    ReplyDelete
  22. My favorites are block 7 and 8 !!!
    Thank you so much for this mistery quilt!!!
    Sara (Italy)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have loved loved loved making all the blocks. I can't pick a favorite but I love the fact that block 12 will be my label AND it will be on the front...I won't have to make a separate label for the back.
    Laurie in Utah

    ReplyDelete
  24. WOW, we are almost to the end of our journey!!! My was all of them, really enjoyed this little sew along and am already looking forward to the next one. Am also interested in your projects for Prairie Women group 4, have not seen any pictures of the projects any where on the web, are they out yet????
    Thanks again for the fun projects
    Carol L

    ReplyDelete
  25. Totally loved it,, all the blocks,, favs were 6 & 8.
    Looking forward to the next, as I also do for the PWSC.
    Kathy B, Adel

    ReplyDelete
  26. I really have enjoy this set of blocks ! 2 and 8 were really fun !
    Can't wait to get it put together! Thanks !

    ReplyDelete
  27. Do I have to pick just one? Two, seven or ten, I just can't make up my mind. I think it's because I particularly love the fabric combinations in those blocks (Heart of the Prairie). I'm sad the sew-along is ending soon :o( .

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love the star with the tiny square in the middle. After the first week, I could hardly wait for the next to arrive. My least favorite is the one with the darker background, only because it stands out, not because I don't like the fabrics. Thank you so much. Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  29. I was gone for several days and just have these last two blocks to make. I missed out on the contest. Lol. Do you reply to comments made?

    ReplyDelete
  30. I finally finished these yesterday. You can see my blocks here:
    http://rainbowpincushion.blogspot.com/2012/09/weekly-update_20.html

    ReplyDelete