HomeMy WebsiteAbout mePocket PatchworkFreebie Patterns

Monday, April 29, 2019

Circa 1880 Nine Patch Blocks

When I give trunk shows and teach workshops showing some of the really small quilts and blocks I have made, I hear people saying they could never make a block that small.  

Sure you can!  There was a time not so long ago when I didn't think I could either.  I learned several things really help.

You may start by piecing two small squares but those two squares quickly become three squares, and then they become rows, and then blocks.  Try one!  Blame me for your new addiction.

Starch.  I have been singing the praises of starching or sizing your fabric yardage for years.  It changed my piecing life playing a huge roll in improving my accuracy.  How would starch improve accuracy you ask?  Stiff fabric gives you waaayyyyy more control, and if your fabric goes or stays where you want it to, well....it turns out perfectly.   Honestly.  Cross my heart.

Pins.  No one ever tells you that there's big differences with pins and sewing needles.  Big differences!  Big, thick pins distort fabric.  How could they not?  In a pinch, you can use them to build a home!  No matter the size of pieces, blocks or borders you are sewing, and especially small pieces, using the right pins make a huge difference in accuracy!  
Several years ago, Clover came out with fine patchwork pins.  At last!  A pin made specifically for piecing patchwork of any size.  These pins are thin and glide into fabric like butter.
As you can see, they don't distort the fabric at all.  It lays just as flat as if no pins were there.  You can sew over them and they won't break a machine needle.  I can no longer sew piece without them.  And, with the Circa 1880 blocks, they keep even the smallest pieces in place.  Ask for them at your local quilt shop or order them here.  

You can also find lots more information on fabric starching and much, much about everything quilting from fabric prep to how I make my labels, in my new, revised Hints, Tips and Secrets book.  You can order one here.  

Wishing you happy stitches..... 

1 comment:

  1. Love the blocks, must have missed something, where can I get the pattern?

    ReplyDelete