HomeMy WebsiteAbout mePocket PatchworkFreebie Patterns

Friday, June 25, 2021

Abigail's Sew Along ~ Part Five


Welcome to the last post in making our Abigail's Doll Quilt.  This is the fun and exciting part....where we assemble all of the parts we've made, and make the quilt top!

This is a very unusual little quilt to assemble.  I truly believe my Abigail was cut from a larger quilt, and the way it was cut, and the layout of the blocks and such, is exactly what I love about it.  It's very unique.  The making of the center may seem odd to you...and it is, but follow the directions in the pattern, and you'll be just fine.  If you're just joining our Abigail's Doll Quilt Sew-along, you join us by getting the quilt directions here

Arrange the blocks, cornerpost units, blue print rectangles, and Aged Muslin setting triangles exactly as show.  You're sewing the units together in a diagonal setting.  Your quilt top should look like mine in the above photo.

Grab a disappearing marker or chalk pencil, and a ruler.

Align the ruler 1/4 inch from all of the block points (see the black line in the photo) and continue marking the line all the way to the top and bottom edges of the quilt.  

Do this on all four sides of the quilt.  

The corners of your doll quilt will be appear from the drawn lines meeting at the corners of the quilt.  See the corner of the photo above. 

BEFORE you do anything else, I highly recommend stay stitching just inside the seam allowance on all four sides of the quilt.  Notice the stay stitching in my photos.  When you trim your quilt, there will be exposed bias edges which can stretch.  We certainly don't want that!  So, the stay stitching will stabilize the quilt center and help prevent stretching.  

Now you have a choice.  You can trim the quilt now if you like, or wait to trim until after you have quilted the quilt.  Personally, I would wait until the quilt was quilted as it would be even more stable.  


 And, now...you have your very own Abigail's Doll Quilt!!  I hope you enjoyed making this sweet little quilt.  She's not your ordinary doll quilt, which makes her even more special if you ask me.

Here is my antique Abigail, with her namesake sampler, as she is in my home.  

I have more Quilt Archaeology projects planned for a little later this year.  I presently working on the first project for my new Teeny, Tiny Quilt Club coming soon.

IN THE STUDIO this week.....I have completed a new fabric collection for next year, and am now working on the next one.  Because of YOU, I am able to continue designing fabrics for our quilting pleasure.  Thank you!!  

Also.....I have a real problem with not enough space to store new stuff coming soon.  So.....I have some quilt kits on SALE.....35% off!  There's only a few of each left....and perhaps they are calling you to Make Me, Make Me!!  

Shop Sale Quilts Kits Here.

Keep your needle busy and your heart content.  Be well, my friends.....



 

No comments:

Post a Comment