HomeMy WebsiteAbout mePocket PatchworkFreebie Patterns

Friday, April 25, 2014

Market Day Sew~along / Part One


Welcome to Part One of my new 
Market Day Sew~Along!  

I've so been looking forward to this!   This week we have only one block to make.  For the other weeks, there will be more than one block.  Hhmmm...have I got ya wondering??  

Let's get to the good stuff.......

When I first announced the Market Day Sew~along, I told you the blocks would be fairly simple to construct, and they'd be 3 inches finished, and they are.  For those of you looking for a bit of a challenge, I'm also going to give you cutting instructions to make your blocks at half the size!  That means they will be 1 1/2 inches finished!  OMG, OMG....they are sooooo cute!  
 (Note: Yardage requirements given are for the full size quilt only and did not include both sizes.  You will not be able to make both quilts from the yardage given.) 

Challenging myself to do things "out of my comfort zone", and trying new techniques is something that I feel strongly about, and has been on my mind a lot lately.  That's how we grow as quilters!  Is there nothing better than trying something new, learning from it, and feeling that satisfying moment of success?   So.....if you've ever wanted to try making a sweet, tiny little block, this is a good time.   Really, they're adorable!  What have you got to loose but a few scraps?  Consider making both quilts with the smaller blocks/quilt in a different color-way than the full size version.  Perhaps a green, red, gold and lights version for Christmas?  

While these blocks are little,  they are very do-able. Give them a try...I will happily take the credit for your new addiction to tiny blocks!!

The cutting instructions and directions for the half-size, smaller size blocks will be listed in red.


Cutting Instructions
From gold print #1:

     *Cut (1) 3 1/2" ( 2") square               
   
From blue print # 1:
    *Cut (4) 2" (1 1/4") squares                    



(Sewing directions are always the same for both size blocks.)

*Draw a diagonal line on the wrong side of the (4) 2"  (1 1/4") blue print squares.


Position one blue square in a corner of the 3 1/2" (2") gold print square.  


Sew just a scant two threads inside (the seam allowance of) the diagonal line; press and trim the connector corner.
Repeat these steps for the remaining corners of the gold print square.  Make (1) Square-in-a-square block measuring 3 1/2" (2") unfinished.  

We're on our way!  More next Friday, so be there or be square. Teehee!  Have fun!!

25 comments:

  1. How exciting, I love teeny tinies! What a bonus!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam, I just finished my squares and the tiny one is so dang cute!!! I can't believe I have to wait for another whole week to have some more fun! Thanks for taking time out of your crazy busy life to do this for us. Karen S.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the mini-mini idea! I'm off to cut and sew! Thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What does it mean to cut the connector corners? Thanks, enjoying this already!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What do I mean when I say to "trim the Connector Corner?" First, a Connector Corner is the square with a diagonal line drawn, and you sew on the line and press creating a triangle in the corner of a unit or block. Once sewn and press, you can trim the 2 layers of fabric beneath the corner triangle to reduce the bulk. You no longer need the fabric to be there. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I know what I will be doing today!!! Thank you Pam!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the mini, and the mini mini! Been looking forward to getting started on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the reply about cutting the corners. I thought that was what you meant but wanted to clarify before cutting! The mini mini is so cute too! Good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing the 2 sizes for the mini quilts. Can't wait to get started on my blocks. Looking forward to every Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ohhh i'm loving getting started on another SAL with you, Pam!! i love small mini quilts, so i'm doubly excited, this is gonna be so much fun,YAY!!! cheers... Marian

    ReplyDelete
  11. My first sew-along and my block is done. Looking forward to next Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am new to your pocket patchwork but it sounded so fun I had to jump in. I did the block in two sizes...the teensy one is the smallest complete block I've ever done and it's adorable. I was too late for your kit but I think I can shop my stash for a reasonable alternate selection. Thanks for doing this!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Pam. My fabric hasn't arrived yet so I am going to make the mini version using my fabrics in the meantime. Thank you for such a fun project.
    Claire in Aus

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a cute block, Pam! Thanks! Got 'er done. Can't wait for the next step next Friday. :-) Say, if there are any Mac users here, could someone tell me how to copy/paste Pam's directions into a document for saving? Thanks in advance. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can make a PDF file on your Mac. Go to "file, print, save as PDF" if you have problems look up PDF on the help drop down.

      Delete
  15. Pam, I am getting ready to do a miniature quilt trunk show for a guild next month, so guess which size I am doing? *LOL* Perfect timing, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Day 2: those mini mini's are like potato chips...just can't have only one! I did 2 more because they are calling out to me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pam, I just made my 2 inch block and it was a exciting to be working on such a little block.Thanks for the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love making tiny, tiny quilts so the mini, mini is right up my alley. However, I am doing both in different fabrics and color ways. Looking forward to the next part.

    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  19. I haven't done a sewalong for awhile so I plan on whipping up both size blocks today.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The housework is trying to get my attention but your fabric is calling louder! Off to sew my first block. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Working on my first block. This is really fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Pam, do you have a Flickr group for this Quilt along for everyone to share their photos? I've done it with other quilting groups, and it is so much fun to see others' work - gets the creative juices flowing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I finished mine last Saturday, but I only just got around to blogging about it today!
    http://rainbowpincushion.blogspot.com/2014/05/weekly-update.html

    Looking forward to starting Part 2 tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Giải đáp vấn đề - thuốc tránh thai khẩn cấp có gây vô sinh không?Thuốc tránh thai khẩn cấp là biện pháp tránh thai có hiệu quả khả cao sau khi giao hợp không sử dụng một biện pháp phòng tránh nào.
    Nước tiểu có màu vàng đậm là bệnh gì?Nhiều người thường phớt lờ hoặc ngại nói về nước tiểu. Tuy nhiên sự đổi màu nước tiểu nói lên tình trạng sức khỏe của bạn nên đừng bỏ qua.
    Nước tiểu có màu vàng khi mang thai là bệnh gì?Thời kì mang thai là một trong những thay đổi lớn trong cuộc sống một người phụ nữ, cả về thể chất, tình cảm, thay đổi hormone và thậm chí tâm thần với một tốc độ nhanh chóng.
    Nước tiểu đục có mùi hôi là bệnh gì?Nếu thận khỏe mạnh, thì các chất cần cho cơ thể đều được giữ lại còn nếu không, có khả năng bạn đang mắc một số bệnh về thận (bệnh thận)
    Sinh thường hay sinh mổ tốt hơn?Tuy nhiên, nhiều mẹ bầu có thai kỳ khỏe mạnh bình thường vẫn chọn đẻ mổ, điều này có nên không? Hãy cùng chúng tôi đi tìm hiểu về vấn đề này nhé!
    Chuối có tác dụng gì?Chuối là một loại trái cây không hề xa lạ với chúng ta đúng không nào các bạn. Thế nhưng, các bạn đã biết hết công dụng của loại quả này chưa nhỉ?
    Bà bầu uống nước dừa có tác dụng gì?Khi mang thai, hẳn bạn cũng không ít lần được rỉ tai về “thần dược” nước dừa và những lợi ích của nó. Mặc dù vậy, cũng không ít những cảnh báo về việc uống nước dừa tăng nguy cơ sảy thai.
    Bao cao su dành cho nữ là gì?Quan hệ tình dục là nhu cầu sinh lý tất yếu của con người. Để đảm bảo an toàn khi “yêu” bạn cần phải có những biện pháp tránh thai hợp lý và hiệu quả.
    Cách chữa bong gân cổ chân hiệu quảBong gân là từ dùng để chỉ tình trạng tổn thương các dây chằng giữ vững khớp do một chấn thương
    Bệnh tim mạch là gì?Để giúp mọi người hiểu rõ hơn về vấn đề này, mời các bạn khám phá bài viết dưới đây nhé!
    Các biểu hiện bệnh tim mạch ở người cao tuổiBệnh tim mạch là một trong những căn bệnh mà người cao tuổi thường hay gặp phải và gây ra nhiều biến chứng nguy hiểm tới tính mạng.

    ReplyDelete