HomeMy WebsiteAbout mePocket PatchworkFreebie Patterns

Friday, November 21, 2014

Introducing Treenware & Berries!!


I'm so pleased to announce my next fabric line with Marcus Fabrics called.......

Treenware & Berries

Before I start showing you the new fabrics in this collection, perhaps a little history is needed on what the term "treenware" is all about.

The photo above shows a sample of some of the early American treenware I've collected.  Basically, treenware is (an umbrella term for) any household item that was made, carved, or whittled from wood...in essence from a "tree".  Think...household items made from a tree.

Early American treenware is plentiful and easily found in antique shops.  Some items very affordable, and some much more expensive.  Most common are cutting boards, both plain and fancy, spoons, ladles, paddles, butter presses, bowls, plates, dough bowls, rolling pins, highly sought after noodle boards, graters, and innumerable kitchen utensils.  

Treenware items were put to hard work.  They weren't meant to sit on a shelf looking pretty.   They were put to good use everyday.  While most are very plain and utilitarian in design, sometimes their maker put a little extra creative spin in the design.  These butter molds, for instance, do have a specific purpose.  The size of the mold pressed a specific weight of butter, while the pressed design marked the brand, if you will, of the butter maker.  Each one hand carved.... a work of art.  What luck it was to find a mini butter press with my initial!  

Here are a few of my antique graters, all treen, and some with original paint.  Each one hand made.  As you can see, the red one doesn't have much in the way of design (you know me with the color red, AND original paint!!  Swoon!), but the black one, albeit quite worn, shows so much character and design, and was obviously worn and loved.  

The most highly prized (highly priced!) and collectible are treen items in original paint.  I love most all of the original paint colors you commonly see which are whitewash or cream, blue, red, green, black and mustard.  My wallet doesn't often allow adding to the 'original paint' collection!  You know how that is!

So now that you know what treenware is....why use that name for the fabric collection?  Well....I love using terms from the nineteenth century, and this collection has lovely, warm browns, a few reds, and luscious creams.  Basically brown and red.....Treenware and Berries!


Here's a little sneek peak at a few of the fabrics in the Treenware & Berries collection.

I'll show you the entire line in my next post!  Have a good weekend!!

23 comments:

  1. Beautiful fabrics and "I wish my treenware collection was as awesome as yours!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your new fabrics are lovely. I look forward to seeing the full range

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I am in love with your new fabric. Wow, it is gorgeous. I do have a collection of butter paddles and enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a renaissance of treenware makers. My son is in the movement and is actually at a big gathering in Minnesota this week. So nice to see these artisans bring these wares back.
    Love the fabrics had that antique but homey feel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Swooning down here in New Zealand!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh My! Can't wait to get my hands on that collection! Laura V.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pam, You are like a bottle of wine, you get better and better with age. I love, love, love your NEW fabric line!!!! And all your treenware is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Wow! WOW!! These are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely love your new fabric!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmm, love your treenware--and I can't wait to see the whole line of fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my Pam - looks like i better add to the old fabric budget! Just received your Prairie Gatherings fabric and i love them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh! These fabrics in Treenware and Berries are GORGEOUS!! I can't wait to get them!!!! Hopefully they'll be available soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful fabric.. as are all of yours! Can't wait to pick up your Prairie Gatherings tomorrow... this will be next! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love these fabrics. Cannot wait to see the rest of the line.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Interesting post, Pam - and I am drooling over your fabric!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous!! Love the fabrics! And your collections is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love them, especially those Browns! I have very little of this color!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the education on treenware and the peek at your line of fabrics. I can't wait to see the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Can't wait to see all the new fabrics! Thanks for the lesson on treenware - I've never heard that term before; in the future I will look more closely at wooden items while antique shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I loved all the info on the treen ware I am excited to start looking for it. Just thinking of the user and how it p,aged a part in their lives. Always love your fabrics, this one is lovely.
    Maggey

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mmmmm.... I'm going to need yardage of Treenware & Berries! Love these colors together! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. If more people that write articles really concerned themselves with writing great content like you, more readers would be interested in their writings. Thank you for caring about your content.
    Robinets de Baignoire

    ReplyDelete