HomeMy WebsiteAbout mePocket PatchworkFreebie Patterns

Saturday, January 17, 2015

A Prairie Gathering Quilt of the Quarter ~ Month One

For the many quilters piecing my Prairie Gathering Quilt of the Quarter quilt, I wanted to write a blog post once a month to go over any piecing tips I may have to help you while you're piecing the quilt for yourself.  If you're not making the Prairie Gathering quilt, perhaps you can pick up a pointer or two anyway!!  

Soon, we will be making many parts of the quilt each month.  Included in your pattern pack are Zip-loc bag labels for keeping all those parts organized.  I'm organized to a fault, so I'm taking you right along with me!

The single most important tip I can give you in making this quilt (or any other, for that matter) is measure, measure, measure!!!!!!!!  The success of everything fitting properly in this quilt is totally dependent on all units, blocks and borders measuring exactly what they need to measure to fit.  Measuring at each step of construction is so very, very important no matter what you're making. 


 If a unit doesn't measure correctly, un-sew now and make it right 
while the seam you have to rip is small!!

All of my patterns list the measurements during construction so you can be sure you're on track.  Follow the measurements given in your Prairie Gathering pattern, and don't proceed until your patchwork measures what it should!  I guarantee this will make you a better, more accurate piecer, not to mention you'll be absolutely delighted with the results!!

Let's begin sewing.....
The first step is to make a Nine Patch block...easy enough, and always a favorite.  

Then, you'll surround your Nine patch with (4) light triangles.  My hint to centering the triangles on the Nine Patch is to fold the Nine Patch in half, wrong sides together.  Finger press a crease into the top edge.  Take a light triangle and fold it in half, right sides together, and finger press a crease. Now, bring both units right sides together, match the creases and pin.  Perfectly centered every time!  Sew and repeat for the other triangles.
Those light triangles might look like they won't fit, but trust me, they do.  
Next step...add (4) red triangles.  Repeat the finger press creasing to center the red triangles as well.  

Next up...Half Square Triangles (HST's).  (Truth be told, I make all of my HST...no matter how many, a wee bit larger than needed, and trim them to perfection.  You can do this, too, if you increase the size of the squares by 1/8th of an inch.  In this case, you would cut your squares to 2.5 inches and trim to 2 inches.  There are many ways to do this, and all of the tips on how to do this are in my Heartspun Quilts Book of Hints, Tips, Secrets & How-To's!!  Perfect every time!)
Make your assorted Half Square Triangles ...again measuring them to be sure they are perfect.  You have (4) assorted red prints, and one really dark red print to work with. Obviously, the darkest one is positioned in the corners.
For the (4) assorted reds, use one red in the same position all around the sides of the block.  That way, a print will never be next to itself.  
 Sew the HST's into rows for the sides, then sew to the center block.  Did you measure??
Sew the top and bottom rows, then sew to the block. 
The block is all done and looking great!  Place all of your cut pieces into their respective bags and zip them up until next month.  

If you like what you see and want to make A Prairie Gathering for yourself, click here to find a list of quilt shops offering the program and sign up!  

More piecing next month....


8 comments:

  1. Great tips, Pam! Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ya know...I am finally getting it and it was what you said...it is better to rip it out now when it is a small seam..duh

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always say...measure all along the way. Measure...measure. I had a friend who was new to sewing. She could not get her block to measure up ever. She was ready to give up. One day she watched as I sewed. After each step I measured. Now she saw what I was saying. Measure after each step? That's the way! She missed that step. Now she gets it! It makes aHuge difference, thanks for the tips even for a " seasoned" quilter . Have a great weekend!
    Hugs Marg.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am doing the " Prairie Womens Sewing Circle" at my local quilt shop. We are doing Journey 1
    I Love it ! There are 6 ladies in our group and I love how the " leader" tells the story of the Pioneer Women " before we begin each session. The women of the day had an awful lot on their shoulders. I LoVe the way we are encouraged to make do, sharing fabric with the group. I'm so glad " Shirley" at The Marsh Store " in Ilderton, On. Canada. decided to run the club. I think she has a few going on through the week. The setting is in an old building..perfect for the program!
    Hugs Marg.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so grateful for your extra tips! I also cut my HSTs slightly larger and trim. I am glad to see that there is enough fabric to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for taking the extra time to explain all the details!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am making the A Prairie Gathering Quilt. I have completd month one. I love the fabric and colors.
    Thank You,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete