HomeMy WebsiteAbout mePocket PatchworkFreebie Patterns

Thursday, June 2, 2016

Scraps of Time ~ Scraps of Fabric

The Quest:  Find at least 15 minutes each and every day to sew.  Sew something or prepare to sew blocks!  Make progress everyday!  No matter what.

The Usual Outcome:  Good intentions that usually don't result in patchwork derailed by a thousand other tasks more pressing.  Sigh.....no pun intended.

I mentioned in my last post that I'm already working on my next BOM program with Marcus. At the moment, I'm fortunate to be working with brand new fabrics, a new design, and I'm sewing!  Wonderful.  Most of the time, my day isn't like this.  No complaints....honestly!  Well, kinda.  I never forget how blessed I am to have this job, so I'm not complaining about that....but, as a quilter, I long to piece patchwork everyday.  Get my fix....feed my soul.  You know!  You get it.  But like most of you, our busy schedules don't always allow for that precious time spent with fabric, needles and sewing machine.  

As I was sewing yesterday where I do my best thinking, I'm feeling pretty good and loving it.  I have a bag of 1" scraps pinned to a bulletin board just behind my sewing machine, and another with tiny Nine Patch blocks I make with those 1" scraps.  The scrap bag is bulging.  The Nine Patch bag is pretty empty.  I L*O*V*E tiny Nine Patch blocks.  I want to make them by the thousands.  I have about twenty....because....no time.  

As I'm sewing and thinking, and say to myself...oh come on....can't you find 15 minutes each day to prepare the blocks and sew them?  A little time?  There's got to be 15 minutes somewhere that you can do this!  YES....I know there is, and you know what will make me find the time?  Being accountable.  When you sew with friends, you're more accountable to keeping up so as not to disappoint them, right?  Works for me, anyway...and it's a whole lot more fun.

So....as I'm sewing and sewing, I'm thinking and thinking, why not ask you all to join me?  We can find Scraps of Time to sew Scraps of Fabric a little everyday.  What do you think?  Are you game?

Here's what I propose.....we make a commitment to each other....nothing official, no blood drawn and smeared with an official oath or anything, just a cyber pinky swear that we're in it together.  We all sew what we want a little everyday.  I'm not asking you to make a thousand 1.5 inch Nine Patch blocks with me...no, no.  Prep and sew whatever fills your heart.   You can be accountable to me, and I will be to you.

Once a week, I'll show you my progress and report how I'm doing.  I'll post on Instagram and Facebook as well....if there's something fun to show you.  I won't bore you with how many scraps I cut today, but updates here and there, which are necessary for the accountability part of my commitment.  

If you're feeling like this is resonating in your heart and want to join the fun, post photos of your accomplishments to #ScrapsofTimeScrapsofFabric where we can all see what we're sewing.

Here's what I accomplished yesterday.  Probably not thrilling for you, but I'm very happy! Today I'll just prep more Nine Patches to sew the next day.  I sure hope this works!  And I'd love to hear from you.  How do you squeeze a little time to sew everyday?  Maybe you're like me and want to make the time...I'd love to hear from you as well.  

I feed my soul with the stitches I sew......truer words were never spoken!


17 comments:

  1. I sew or stitch or cross stitch or crochet nearly every day. I'd love to join in to see what others are doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh they are very pretty. I love 9 patches. Yes, it is good to try to sew a bit every day. Looking forward to seeing what everyone is working on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in! Maybe this will get me motivated to get the quilt I'm working on closer to a finish! Laura V.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the idea, Pam. Small nine patches like yours, are my favourite blocks and when I have time, I try to make as many as I can. Unfortunately, I'm moving on July 1 so I've packed all my fabric. Can't wait to move, but also can't wait to make more of those sweet blocks. I'm starting to have withdrawal symptoms. haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, the day does seem to fill itself with so much that there's no time left over at the end to stitch, doesn't it? I've found the best way to combat this is to do my stitching at the beginning of the day, before the chores have a chance to take over. Each day, as soon as I've finished breakfast, I do 30 minutes of stitching before I do anything else.

    Being accountable to others helps too. My blog serves that purpose for me. I post pictures of the needlework I've done each week. Even though only 20-30 people read it and no one ever leaves a comment, I still feel like I need to have something to show each week.

    Keep at it. After a while it will become a habit and you won't be able to imagine starting your day without a little stitching. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Pam,
    First of all, it helps if you are retired. Nevertheless, we all have cleaning, laundry, grocery shopping etc. to do each week. So on Sunday, I make a list of chores I need to accomplish that week. As I accomplish them, I cross them off. Feels so good!! Also, I have a monthly planner and at the beginning of the month, I make a list of the sewing projects that I want to work on that month e.g. make 10 xmas tree blocks, sew the binding on a quilt etc. As the month goes by, I keep crossing off items on that list too. So far, I have completed 17 sewing/quilting projects this year. None are like the big quilts you make but whatever.
    Those lists make me accountable to myself. It works for me.

    It seems to me that you DO get a lot accomplished - designing and making quilts, designing fabrics, teaching classes etc etc. but just maybe not so much for "yourself". When I was teaching, I had very little free time to pursue my sewing hobbies. It can be frustrating.

    Good luck with your 15 minutes a day sewing. I think it will be a good motivator for you.

    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like so much fun! I'm in! As soon as I return home next week I'm starting to cut squares and join you with making 9 patches! Thanks for the challenge
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sew a bit every chance I get. I have handwork beside my recliner prepped and ready to work on. Having my "Clover Dome" filled with threaded needles really helps me to "steal" a few moments in my busy day. I also like to leave something ready to sew, cut up or quilt in my sewing room at all times which again gives me "stolen minutes" to sew every day. Even 10 minutes here and there adds up in a week. I keep track of things in my quilt journal which also helps me to see my progress and successes. I also make a point of browsing through a few select blogs each day so that I can be inspired by the quilting of others. Good luck with finding what works for you in your quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have inspired me. I am going to try to sew everyday. I also LOVE scrap 9 patches and am going to grab my 1 inch scrap bin and make some!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm working on a scrap quilt. Sew I'd love to join in!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I find a few minutes every day and try to have a leader ender in the mix as well. helps me to sew and make progress even though I dont have huge chunks of time

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm in, too! Love the idea of knowing you and other quilters will be putting in some time along with me. Funny thing is, lately I have been trying to get to my poor languishing Love Worn quilt that I'm doing as a winter quilt. So...I'm thinking I'll work with those little squares for 15 minutes a day! See you in the quilt room!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm in! (Virtual pinky swear!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Here is my pinky swear--shooting for a little time each day

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have been making 9-patches also. I have other projects I am trying to complete, but there is something so soothing about just random 9-patches. They offer so many possibilities! Hope you recovered from market and had a great time, and feeling better as well!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am in. But I am wondering about seam allowance. Cutting 1 inch blocks. What seam allowance are you sewing with? 1/4 inch will eat up a whole block, won't it?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this idea! I often wonder how I don't get anything done. Well it's just like you said I get so caught up doing all of the "have to dos" that I forget or get out of the habit of just taking the time to do a little bit each day. My friend is very organized and she finished her Dear Jane this way. Mine is still some blocks in a box! lol She would take little 15 minute blocks out of her day and sew something and she finishes quite a bit this way. I'm going to try to stick to this until it is finally a habit. :) I am going to figure out Instagram also! Another thing I keep putting off! Thanks for the invite this sounds like a great motivator.

    ReplyDelete