HomeMy WebsiteAbout mePocket PatchworkFreebie Patterns

Friday, June 19, 2020

Antebellum Sew Along ~ Part Four


I don't know about you, but I feel like these past weeks have just flown by.  Here were are at our final week of the sew along.  I'm really hoping you enjoyed this one as much as I have?

Let's make our last batch of Half Square Triangles.

Using (20) light print and (20) blue print 2 1/4" squares, draw a diagonal line on the wrong side of the light print squares.  Match each with a blue print square and sew 1/4" on both sides of the drawn line.  Cut them apart, press to the blue print.  Make (40) Half Square Triangles trimmed to 1 1/2" unfinished.

To complete our Antebellum quilt, sew (9) Half Square Triangles together for each side border; press seams open between HST.  Each side border should measure 1 1/2" x 9 1/2" unfinished.  Sew the side borders to the quilt center; press to the plain red border.

Then, sew (11) Half Square Triangles together for the top and bottom borders.  Like before, pay specific attention to the two HST on the ends of the bottom borders as they are turned differently than the others.  Each border should measure 1 1/2" x 11 1/2" unfinished.   Sew the borders to the quilt center; press to the plain red border.

Cut (2) 1 3/4" x 11 1/2" light print strips for the side borders, and (2) 1 1/2" x 14 1/2" strips for top and bottom borders.  Sew the plain light print border to the quilt center.  Your quilt should measure 14 1/2" square.  Bind with red print fabric cut 2" wide for single fold binding.  

I hand quilted my Antebellum quilt only in the light parts of the HST.  I'm still a beginner at hand quilting, and I don't really know how to fit a border design just yet.  It's plenty of quilting to keep it all together and enjoy it for the summer.  

I'd love to see your Antebellum quilt!  If you post it on social media, please tag me @heartspunquilts and use the hashtag #antebellumsewalong

Enjoy your weekend and Happy Father's Day to all our dads out there!  

Stay safe, keep creating and be well.....






4 comments:

  1. It wasn't until 5:00 I remembered to check your blog! Now I need to get my HSTs made tomorrow so I can put my mini together. Thanks for the fun summer project! Hopefully I can get it quilted and displayed in time for 4th of July.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't get a chance to sew along with you on this one but I hope to make this in the future. Love all those tiny half square triangles. I'm looking forward to your next sew along. Hopefully I will be able to join in on that one.Thank's for all you do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is comming along very well, lovely project.

    ReplyDelete