HomeMy WebsiteAbout mePocket PatchworkFreebie Patterns

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

A Little Show -N- Tell

I received an email from Diane Courteau last week.  Diane lives in Canada and participates in the Prairie Women's Sewing Circle club at the Fibre Junction Quilt Shop.  Diane wanted to send me pictures of her Contrary Wife quilt (Journey 2 of the PWSC club) because she entered it into the Montreal Quilt Show in May.  I'm really glad she did...wait 'till you see it!!

Here's my original Contrary Wife quilt seen on the cover of the Journey Two pattern.  It's all done in reds and browns.  

This is my antique quilt which was the inspiration for Contrary Wife.   On this quilt, the stars are appliqued and on my quilt they're pieced.  The muslin rectangles in the center of each block bear signatures.  They are faded, but you can tell they were all signed by one person.  I sure wish this quilt would tell us its story!!  I'm not sure how old it is, but think it's pretty safe to say nineteenth century.  All hand appliqued and hand quilted, and in great shape!

Diane Courteau's Contrary Wife Quilt.  
This is Diane's award winning quilt!  Isn't it just lovely?!!  She took creative liberty with the awesome border.  While I am flattered when quilters make my quilts like I have, I encourage everyone to change things up and make it your own.  Look what Diane's creativity produced!

Diane won a 2nd place ribbon in her category which was hand quilting.  Just stunning, Diane!

Congratulations, Diane,  and we're all so happy you shared your beautiful quilt with us.  Diane said she is planning to enter another of my quilt designs in the Montreal show in two years.  We can't wait to see what you do!  


Here's a gentle reminder.....a PLEA really, to send me photos of your Market Day quilts.  I really, really want to see what you've made!!  I have been getting lots of pictures from so many of you from around the world, and I thank you!!  Our deadline is approaching.  I will post my.....

Airing of the Quilts 

very soon, so please email your photos by September 15th!!  Remember, your quilt does not have to be quilted or bound.  

Thanks for visiting my blog, and I hope you enjoy your day.


5 comments:

  1. That is fun to see the quilt that inspired you, the quilt you designed from it, and the quilt Diane made using that design. So beautiful--all of them! And I can't believe all of the hand quilting on Diane's!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quilt is beautiful - well done Diane! And it is lovely to see the journey of this quilt - the original, yours and hers :-) Just have a couple of borders to sew on then I will be able to email you a pic ....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both beautiful quilts. You must get such a kick out of seeing your designs made up. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautifully made and the quilting is amazing

    ReplyDelete